How to recover deleted messages and photos on Instagram?
If you are an avid Instagram user like me, you’ll also know that there is no way to recover deleted messages on Instagram. But let me tell you, that’s not completely true. Although Instagram does not open out much about it, there are ways to retrieve deleted messages on Instagram.
In this guide, I’ll be sharing some such ways to recover deleted messages in Instagram on android, iOS, or Windows.
So the next time you delete any messages or content on your Instagram account, there is no need to panic. Just give the guide a read and fix everything in a legit way.
Now before looking at the ways to retrieve deleted messages on Instagram, make sure your app is updated to the latest version and you have a decent internet connection.
How to recover deleted photos on Instagram?
With the new update of Instagram, you can now recover deleted photos and videos on Instagram quite easily, provided that the deleted content is not older than 30 days.
Here are the steps to retrieve deleted photos, videos, and reels on your Instagram app.
- Log into your account and go to your profile section
- Click on “Your activity”
- Now scroll down and click on the “recently deleted” option
- Here, you will see all your content pieces that have been deleted in the past 30 days.
- To restore any of them, click on it and then tap restore.
Restoring deleted photos on Instagram is not a big deal. You can do it in quite a simple way. But when it comes to recovering the deleted messages from the app, it becomes difficult.
How to recover deleted messages on Instagram on android and iOS?
Most Instagram users operate the application using android phones. To be precise, more than 50% of Instagram users are android users. On the other hand, the second largest user base of Instagram is none other than iOS users. And one of the most common and annoying issues of all these users is that they are not able to recover their deleted messages or photos on the app. I know you are one of them, I was once too, haha!
But not anymore! Below, I have mentioned some really great methods using which you can easily recover deleted messages on Instagram on your Android or iOS device without any hassle.
Using the “Data Download” feature
Instagram has recently introduced a new feature for its users known as “Data Download” which lets you view deleted Instagram DMs right from the app. You can leverage the feature to view deleted Instagram DMs and restore them.
Here are a few simple steps you need to follow to restore deleted messages from the app on your android or iOS device.
- Open your Instagram app and log in to your account (it should be the same account which messages you want to retrieve)
- Click on the profile avatar and go to your activity
- Click on the option “Download your information”
- Now, you will need to enter your login credentials i.e email and password
- Instagram will offer you different formats to download your data into – HTML and JSON. Select the one you prefer and click on “Request download”
- Once done, Instagram will send a link to your data file to your entered email account. Open the link and enter your login credentials one more time to access the data file.
And here you go! Now, you can easily see all your deleted chats and messages on your android device with no hassle.
Using “Facebook Account”
As we know, Meta owns both Facebook and Instagram. And all thanks to that, we can now connect our Instagram account with our Facebook account so easily. This allows you to share your content on both the platforms at one time.
But apart from all that, it also allows you to view your deleted Instagram DMs in your Facebook account.
How? Let’s see.
- Sign in to your Facebook account that is connected to your Instagram account
- Once logged in, click on the messenger icon on the top right corner (make sure the messenger application is installed on your device)
- Now simply search for IG deleted messages and see them.
With this method, you can recover deleted messages on Instagram within minutes, or seconds even.
Using “Data Backup” (Only for android devices)
If you are a regular android user, you would know that one of the most amazing features of android devices is their data backup feature. With this feature, you can back up data on your android device on a regular basis to keep all your data stored in one place, even if it gets deleted from the main source. You can use this feature not only to view deleted Instagram DMs but also to recover them.
For that, you just need to go through some very kid-level steps mentioned below;
- Open the settings on your device and search for Google (make sure you are logged in )
- Now, click on it and select Backup to start backing up your device’s data
- Once done, you will be able to back up data for as long as you want even if it is deleted from the main source.
You should keep automatic daily data backup ON to make sure none of your data goes missing if deleted accidentally or intentionally.
Although Instagram does not allow you to restore deleted messages on the app, it does send them to your email address so you can see them. With the aforementioned steps, you will not only be able to recover deleted messages on Instagram but other content pieces like photos, videos, and reels too.
However, if none of these steps work for your android or iOS device, the last option is to ask the recipient if they still have those messages and if they can share them with you. If you ask them by providing them with full clarity about the situation and the necessity of getting the messages back, I’m sure they’ll be happy to share them with you.
How to recover deleted messages on Instagram on a PC/Laptop?
If you have understood how to recover deleted messages on Instagram on android and iOS, restoring them on a PC or a Laptop won’t be tough even. You can follow the same steps given for Android and iOS devices to view deleted Instagram DMs on your PC or Laptop.
Instagram is one of the largest social media platforms used by billions of people for daily communication with the world. It not only lets you explore the vast possibilities of the world, all from the convenience of your home, but also allows you to share your creativity and art too. One more amazing thing about the app is that it lets you delete your messages from both sides if it is sent accidentally or if you feel it wasn’t the right thing to do. However, this sometimes leads to issues as well. For example, if you want to retrieve those deleted messages later, you cannot. Not on the application, at least.
But there are ways to do that. And I have shared some of the best ones in this post that’ll help you recover deleted messages on Instagram that you deleted accidentally or for other reasons.
- Is it possible to recover deleted messages on Instagram?
Yes, it is possible to view deleted DMs on Instagram and retrieve them too.
- How to download my Instagram chat history?
Log into your profile and go to the privacy section. There, you will see a data download option. Click on it and enter your login credentials to verify yourself. Once done, you will get a link to the retrieved chat data on your email account. Access it from there.
- Are Instagram messages deleted forever?
If you have not turned on the automatic daily data backup setting on your device and aren’t able to retrieve them through the link, it means that they have been deleted permanently.
- How to permanently delete messages on Instagram on both sides?
With the new feature of Instagram, you can delete a sent message on both sides of a conversation. To do that, you just need to hold the selected chat and then click on the unsend option popped up.
You need to remember that you can only unsend messages that you have sent during a conversation. If the other party has sent something, you cannot delete that.