The Instagram tagging option allows you to tag other IG users on your post. Not only this feature allows you to make your posts more informative but also help you get more reach as well. But how many people can you exactly tag on a single Instagram post? In this article, we will be trying to find the answer to this quite a debatable topic and know the actual Instagram tag limit. Along with that, we will also learn how to tag someone on Instagram both on stories and posts.
Instagram tag limit has been a key feature for the marketers and influencers out there right from the start. And now, let’s see how crucial it can actually be.
How Many People You Can Tag On Instagram?
Using the official “tagging” option, you can tag up to 20 people on a single Instagram post. Now, when I used the “official” option, you all would be looking toward the unofficial ways straight ahead, wouldn’t you? Well, worry not, that’s not completely an “unofficial” way. It’s just a bit different. We’ll talk about that in the next section.
Coming back to the topic, the Instagram tag limit on a single post is up to 20 people. You cannot tag more than 20 people on your post using the “tagging” way.
ALSO READ: Instagram Bio Ideas & How to Write the Perfect Bio
The Instagram tag limit remains the same for Instagram stories as well. Just like on a post, you can tag up to 20 of your friends on your Instagram stories as well. In case you’ve tagged more than 20 people, either on your posts or stories, you won’t be able to upload it.
However, as I said back, you can surpass the Instagram tag limit and tag more than 20 people on your posts or stories. Here’s how.
You can do it by using the “mentioning” feature. The mentioning feature is quite similar to the tagging option and allows you to tag more people than the actual Instagram tag limit. Let’s see how you can tag someone using the “mention” feature on your Instagram posts.
How to tag someone on Instagram?
People tag other Instagram users usually on a post or story where the users are present. Some also tag their friends on posts that seem relevant or informative to them. Out of the box, some also tag other IG users on their posts because it’s fun.
Whatever the reason is, tagging has been a crucial thing on Instagram. And unfortunately, if you don’t know how to tag someone on the platform, here are the steps.
Steps to tag a person on an Instagram post using the “tagging” option
- Open your Instagram account and add a photo to upload
- Once done with the basic editing, you’ll be redirected to the captions page.
- Enter the captions (if you have) and you’ll see a “tag people” option
- Click on that and then tap on “add tag”
- Now, enter the name of the person you’d like to tag to that post. Repeat the process until you have tagged 20 people
- Once done, click on the blue tick at the top right corner of the screen to apply
Congratulations, you have successfully tagged your friends on your Instagram post following the Instagram tag limit.
Now, here is what you’ve been waiting for. The steps to tag more than 20 people on your Instagram posts using the “mention” feature.
- Open your Instagram account and add the photo you want to upload
- Head to the captions section
- Now, mention your friends on that post by entering their name followed by an “@” sign. For example; @howtotagsomeone
- Repeat the process until you’ve tagged the friends you wanted to
- Once done, click on the publish option to publish the post and make your mentions go active.
I myself have tagged around 22 people using this feature. Try to find out how many you can.
The Instagram tag limit feature was introduced to prevent unnecessary spamming on the platform. However, it becomes an issue for the users sometimes as well. In this article, we learned about the Instagram tag limit and the steps to over exceed it.
Let me know if you are still having issues with the tagging feature of the platform.